On Saturday evening, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich issued a statement in which he stated that he is ‘entrusting the administration and care of Chelsea FC to trustees of Chelsea’s charity Foundation.’
Take a look at the Full statement:
‘During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the Club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities.
‘I have always taken decisions with the Club’s best interest at heart. I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea’s charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.
‘I believe that currently, they are in the best position to look after the interests of the Club, players, staff, and fans.’
So, who are the trustees?
- Bruce Buck- The chairman of Chelsea since March 2003, and as chair of the foundation.
- Emma Hayes- The wildly successful manager of Chelsea Women.
- Hugh Robertson- The chairman of the British Olympic Association. (Also a former Minister for Sport)
- Piara Powar- The Executive Director of the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE).
- John Devine- Head of the Sports Team at law firm, Muckle LLP.
- Paul Ramos- Chelsea’s Director of Finance.
Despite all this, Abramovich has always adamantly rejected any ties to the Kremlin or any actions that may lead to his punishment.