What an exciting transfer window, especially if you’re a Newcastle United fan. It was a bustling window across Europe but the English Premier League dominated with the big cash. After all, England is where the real money is.
Here’s a quick look at the top five most expensive transfers in the January 2022 transfer window.
If you’re a Sunderland fan, this is not going to be enjoyable. Your rivals Newcastle United delivered two deals from the top five most expensive signings across Europe in January.
The club known as the Magpies have new big money. Newcastle acquired new majority shareholders in the form of a Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund last spring. Reports say they are now one of the richest clubs in the world. The spending has hardly begun.
The club signed Chris Wood from Burnley for €30 million and the Brazil international Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon for €42.1 million.
The top five is completed by Liverpool’s purchase of Luis Diaz’s, Barcelona scooping Ferran Torres as well as Juventus signing Dusan Vlahovic from Fiorentina with the biggest fee of the window.
Here is the top five in summary:
5. Chris Wood – signed for Newcastle United from Burnley for €30 million
4. Bruno Guimaraes – signed for Newcastle United from Olympique Lyon for €42.1 million
3. Luis Diaz – signed for Liverpool from Porto for €45 million
2. Ferran Torres – signed for Barcelona from Manchester City for €55 million
1. Dusan Vlahovic – signed for Juventus from Fiorentina for €81 million.
Meanwhile, Newcastle will host Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa at St James’ Park this weekend.