Manchester United suffered a humiliating 4-0 defeat at the hands of Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday night.
The host’s goals were scored by Moises Caicedo, Marc Cucurella, Leandro Trossard, and Pascal Gross with the win set to condemn United to their worst finish to a Premier League season.
So what are just some of the records that were broken in the game?
- This season will also account for United’s lowest points tally of the Premier League era. A win against Crystal Palace in a fortnight would see the Red Devils finish on 61 points – three fewer than the total of 64 points in the David Moyes’ 2013-14 campaign.
- The 2021-22 campaign is officially United’s worst defensively of the Premier League era. They’ve conceded 56 goals – two more than they conceded in 2018-19, and still with another game to go. Only twice before had they conceded more than 45.
- This was Brighton’s first home win against United in the post-war period.
- Prior to this game, no Premier League team had scored fewer goals on home soil than Brighton. Their four goals against United account for 25% of their total goals from 18 home games in 2021-22.
• Champions League hopes officially over
• Lowest ever PL points total in a season confirmed
• 56 goals conceded, most in a PL season
• First team to concede four to Watford and Brighton in the same top-flight season
Another miserable day for Manchester United pic.twitter.com/R362qa2Jz9
— B/R Football (@brfootball) May 7, 2022
- This is only the second time in 188 Premier League matches that Brighton has scored four goals.
- No side has ever before conceded four goals to Watford and Brighton in the same season.
- Rangnick’s side could still end the season with a negative goal difference. They’re only on +1. Their previous worst goal difference in a Premier League season was +11 in 2018-19. In 2008-09 United registered a +58 goal difference.